Understanding FBAR filling to report money in foreign accounts

If you’re a U.S. resident with funds in overseas institutions, knowing the fundamentals of FBAR filing is essential for a stress-free tax season. 

As an American living overseas, it’s no wonder that you may have a bank asset situated elsewhere in the U.S. But you may be startled to hear that just by keeping your money in a foreign account, you can have extra reporting obligations, termed as an FBAR. If you wish to file FBAR, you must fill out the FinCEN Form 114. If you hold any foreign account, you should consult a tax law firm Virginia Beach.


Your Foreign Bank Account Report, commonly known as FinCEN Form 114, is an FBAR. If you’re obliged to report, you must do it once a year.

The purpose of the FBAR is to prevent tax avoidance by disclosing assets and income held in foreign financial institutions. Instead of the IRS, you file an FBAR with FinCEN, the Financial Crimes and Enforcement Network of the U.S. Treasury Department. Failure to file can result in severe fines, so it’s in your best interest to keep current.

Most expatriate tax filers will disclose the amount in their overseas bank accounts; however, you may additionally be required to report the following:

  • Stock acquired by a foreign financial institution.
  • Assets held by a U.S. banking institution in a foreign subsidiary
  • Mutual funds from other countries, health insurance, or annuities contracts.

Who files an FBAR, and how do you find out?

Every U.S. person who is an owner, nominee, or influences the disbursement of the account’s funds must submit FinCEN Form 114, whether they live in the United States or overseas. You must file FinCEN Form 114 if the total balance of all your overseas accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year.

Checking accounts, brokerage accounts, and some foreign private pensions are foreign financial accounts. Foreign accounts are situated outside of the 50 states, Washington, D.C., the United States territories, and federal jurisdiction. The FBAR filing standard does not apply to some foreign or Nostro accounts and accounts held by state bodies.

You may require to complete additional paperwork than FinCEN Form 114 if you’re a U.S. ex-pat. You’ll need to fill out Appendix B, Article 3 of your tax return, as well as Form 8938 if applicable. Unlike the FBAR, which is submitted individually, Form 8938 and Appendix B are elements of your tax filing. Since the process can be daunting for anyone, one seek professional help from sales tax Virginia Beach firm.

U.S. nationals and noncitizens are required to record all global income, significant interest revenue from overseas trusts and banking institutions, and securities accounts. To do so, you’ll need to fill out Schedule B (Form 1040) and submit it to their tax forms. Part III of Appendix B inquires about the presence of foreign accounts such as credit and commodities accounts, as well as the nation in which each institution is situated. You’ll say “yes” if this describes you.

You might also need to fill out and submit Form 8938 to your return. If the combined value of specified foreign financial holdings surpasses specific criteria, U.S. citizens, noncitizens, and certain foreign aliens must declare them on this form. Details may be found in the form’s instructions.

It’s important to note that submitting Form 8938 has no bearing on your need to file FinCEN Form 114.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.